THE STATUTE OF THE MALTA PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY
Updated AGM January, 2018
- The Society shall be known as ‘Malta Photographic Society’, as well as ‘Socjeta Fotografika ta’ Malta’, having for its objective the furtherance of photography in all its aspects.
- The address of the Society shall be; 137 Old Bakery Street, Valletta VLT 1457, MALTA.
- The Society is a Voluntary Non-Profit making and Autonomous organisation. No part of the income, capital or property of the organisation shall be available directly or indirectly to any promoter, member, administrator, donor or other private interest.
- The affairs of the Society shall be managed by an Executive Committee comprising of a President (Chairperson), Vice-President, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer and three members.
- The Executive Committee members and two non-committee members to act as auditors shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- A member standing for election to the Executive Committee or as auditor shall be proposed and seconded by two members and a nomination form, fully signed by all three, shall be submitted no later than four weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
- The Executive Committee shall appoint a Certified Auditor, preferably a member of the Society, to act as Consultant to the Hon. Treasurer whenever required.
- All offices shall be agreed upon and decided by the newly elected Executive Committee.
- Members of the Executive Committee shall be elected to office for a term of one year. Members of the outgoing Executive Committee shall be eligible for re-election.
- In the event of a vacancy occurring on the Executive Committee, this shall be filled by the non-elected member obtaining the highest number of votes in the previous election. When this is not possible, an Extraordinary General Meeting shall be convened to elect the new member.
- The quorum for an Executive Committee meeting shall be four.
- The Hon. Treasurer shall be required to draw up a Statement of Accounts for the current year ending 31st December. This statement shall be Audited by the Society’s elected auditors and presented at the Annual General Meeting
- The Hon. Secretary shall present the Annual Report of the Society to the Annual General Meeting.
- Any Executive Committee member failing to attend three Executive Committee meetings without justifiable reasons may be required by the Executive Committee to resign his/her post.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Society shall be held in January each year.
- An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called by the Executive Committee or if requested by not less than thirty members.
- A quorum for the Annual General Meeting and Extraordinary General Meeting shall be one third of the general membership. Should such a quorum not be in attendance the General Meeting shall be held, with the same Agenda, fifteen minutes later and all decisions shall be binding on the Society as a whole.
- The adjournment of the Annual General Meeting or an Extraordinary General Meeting shall not exceed a period of seven days from the original date of such a meeting and shall be held on the appointed date irrespective of the number of members present and with the same original agenda. Members to be informed by circular. All decisions taken during such adjournment shall be binding on the Society as a whole.
- Cheques issued by the Society shall be signed by the Hon. Treasurer and countersigned by either the President or the Vice President of the Society.
- A person applying for membership shall complete and submit a prescribed application form accompanied by the relevant joining fee.
- General membership of the Society is open to all over the age of eighteen.
- Subscriptions shall be as follows:
One Year Memberships
Ordinary Member €40.00
Joint Membership (Married Couples) €55.00
Over 61 years of age €30.00
Overseas Members €65.00
Two Year Memberships
Ordinary Member €60.00
Joint Membership (Married Couples) €85.00
Over 61 years of age €40.00
Overseas Members €100.00
Three Year Memberships
Ordinary Member €85.00
Joint Membership (Married Couples) €115.00
Over 61 years of age €55.00
Overseas Members €135.00
- Members joining the Society after the 1st. July will pay half the relevant fee. All subscriptions shall be paid in advance and fall due on the first of January of each year.
- A member, whose subscription is still in arrears four weeks from the first of January, shall be sent a reminder. The absence of a reply within fifteen days will indicate the member’s voluntary resignation from the Society. Those re-applying for membership will be considered as new members but will retain the categories they had during their previous membership.
- Any member can resign his membership at any time by indicating their wish to do so in writing by letter or email sent from the member’s email address officially registered with the Society.
- The Executive Committee shall request any member to appear before it to answer allegations of misconduct appertaining to any action which:
- Is alleged to have harmed or attempted to harm the interests of the Society.
- Is alleged to have brought or attempted to bring disrepute on the Society.
iii. Is alleged to have gained personnel advantage from their position in the Society.
If the Executive Committee decides that there is a ‘prima facie’ case, it shall refer the case for a final decision within twenty eight days at either an Annual General Meeting, if this is due in that period or an Extraordinary General Meeting convened for that purpose. The member/s concerned shall be afforded full opportunity to state their case at such a meeting. If the case is found proven by a majority of members attending, then the member/s shall be deprived of their membership of the Society. If the member/s fail to appear before the Executive Committee meeting without justifiable cause or be present at the AGM/EGM they shall automatically be deprived of their membership and shall not be able to re-apply again for membership before a lapse of two years from the date of such decision.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to extend Honorary Life Membership of the Society to persons who in their opinion deserve recognition for special service to the Society or Photography in general.
- Should the Society be dissolved, trophies and any other objects shall be returned to the donors when this is possible. Any assets remaining after settling liabilities shall be applied to another non-profit organisation/s of similar aims or purpose as determined by the General Meeting
- Alterations of this statute shall be subject to a two-thirds majority of members present at the Annual General Meeting or an Extraordinary General Meeting. Any proposed amendments should be submitted to the Hon. Secretary at least four weeks before such a meeting. Members shall be sent copies of the agenda at least two weeks before the date of such a meeting.
Approved by the Annual General Meeting January 2018